The health fitness center was established in 1992 when Michael Grondahl purchased a gym in financial trouble. Still, Grondahl quickly turned things around by cutting the costs and focusing on the requirements of the members rather than adding bells and whistles useless to members.
Today, 11 gyms are owned by the company, while independent owners manage the remainder. Initially, the gyms were primarily focused around areas in the US northeast.
However, the company’s services are increasing. In January 2012, Planet Fitness would be the partner of Biggest Loser, NBC’s reality show. The agreement stipulates that the contestants on the show would exercise at Planet Fitness facilities.
As the health fitness center grows and expands, they remain true to their mission of offering everyone the opportunity to exercise in a comfortable environment.
Thanks to the Judgment Free Zone concept, anyone who signs up for membership will receive the most effective personal training. Since the beginning of the fitness program, the goal has been the same: to help you stay fit and get fit.
That means that there aren’t unnecessary extras such as childcare or juice bars that do nothing more than make it more expensive to pay for your membership. Instead, the emphasis is on providing the most effective gym equipment that you can get.
Planet Fitness Fees Overview
Planet fitness membership costing $10 per month sounds too appealing to be accurate, particularly when gyms across the street cost 3 to five times the amount; however, is it?
This $10 subscription is Planet Fitness’ Classic Membership which is also known as the basic membership. It could or might not require the 12-month commitment (most clubs have this). The Classic Membership has:
- Access to all the facilities at your home club (the club you joined at)
- Free fitness classes One-on-one support from a certified personal trainer who will help you understand the equipment or answer questions about fitness
- Free Wi-Fi when you’re in the club
That’s all there is. If you’re interested in any of the additional Planet Fitness features, it will cost $21.99 per month at most fitness centers (a 12-month commitment could be necessary).
The PF Black Card Membership comes with everything from the Classic Membership and includes:
- Anytime you want to join Planet Fitness worldwide
- Access to guests on every visit
- The tanning bed is accessible to all
- Hydromassage access (if it is applicable)
- The ability to access a massage chair
- The ability to access the total body enhancement Booth (if appropriate)
- Discounts on travel, drinks, and more at Reebok.com
Let’s look at other fees you might not be aware of.
Planet Fitness branches are franchised. Each franchise may charge a different fee for signing up. Some offer specials for $1 for signing up, while others charge the full $49. This means that your first month will cost at a minimum of $59, or $70.99 at some gyms.
There’s also the annual $39 cost. All members pay this fee regardless of the special they have signed up for. Use extra caution if you do sign up for a special too. If, for instance, you sign up for an offer for $1, it doesn’t mean that you don’t have to pay the $39 annual cost. The fee will be charged typically within the first few months of signing up (check your contract to find the exact date).
After it’s all done and dusted after that, your Planet Fitness membership costs either:
- A price of $208 is for the Classic Membership for the entire year (assuming an initial sign-up fee)
- $351.88 for a PF Black Card Membership for the year (taking an initial sign-up cost)
This may sound like a lot, but it’s $17.33 and $29.32 per month.
For more information visit: https://gympricelist.com/planet-fitness-prices/